Welcome to LPS!
Our K-12 school takes great pride in being a small, close-knit, caring and supportive community. We have high expectations for our student body in all curricular and co-curricular areas, and we have a strong reputation and track record as an outstanding educational institution. We are deeply committed to our mission statement. The following information describes some of the ways we achieve our goals for children.
Our administration, staff, parents, and community members work tirelessly to review and improve opportunities through a variety of means, including School Improvement Team, Curriculum Planning and Review, and Professional Learning Communities. Year after year, Leland Public School receives state and national recognition for its academic performance:
- US News and World Report recognized Leland as one of America’s Best High Schools, awarding a silver medal in 2015 and for the past five years in a row. This award emphasizes the principle that a great high school serves all its students well, not just the college-bound, and produces measurable outcomes of successful education across a broad range of performance indicators.
- Standard and Poor’s school evaluation report describes Leland Public School’s overall testing performance as “well above” and “exceptionally above” state norms.
- Schoolmatters.com reports data from every high school in the state, regardless of size. It recently listed only one Michigan high school with scores higher than Leland High School’s four-year average for MEAP math performance.
- Leland also ranked in Michigan’s Top 10 in the four-year average in MEAP reading performance of “well” or higher.
- Technology is seamlessly integrated into our K- 12 curriculum. We have 1:1 iPads for students in grades 3-12 and 1:2 iPads in grades K-2.
In addition to a core curriculum offering depth and variety second to none in our area, Leland also offers students K-12 the following curricular opportunities:
- Integrated learning
- Vocal/Instrumental Music
- Multiple Media Art
- Cutting-Edge Technology
- Cross-Curricular Learning
- Process-Based Science Drama
- An Exceptional Writing Program
Because of Leland’s small size, students are encouraged to participate in all co-curricular activities. Opportunities abound for service to school and community.
- Odyssey of the Mind
- Comet Chorale
- Art Club
- Math Club
- Youth in Government
- 4-H Chess Club
- Student Council
- Caring Comets
- International Service Club
- Athletics football, basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, baseball, track, skiing, tennis, golf
Leland students are supported by a strong network of parent and community members who volunteer to serve this district in a variety of capacities. We encourage you to find your niche among the following existing organizations… or create a new one!
- Leland Educational Foundation
- Booster Club
- Parents for Kids
- Junior Achievement
- Kids Club
- Bridge Program
- School Improvement Team
The Leland Public School’s Mission is to provide a visionary, innovative curriculum and learning environment to achieve maximum individual student growth by developing essential skills, thought processes, self-reliance, and motivation necessary for lifelong learning in pursuit of a satisfying career.
A Dedicated and Experienced Faculty
65% of our teachers have Masters Degrees in their chosen fields. Our district fully supports Leland’s faculty members, encouraging continual training updates, conference attendance, and other academic pursuits. All teachers are highly qualified.
Faculty and students work together on projects beyond the classroom to enhance learning:
- Elementary – Environmental Camps, Field Trips, DARE, Band, Fine Arts Assemblies
- Secondary – Beechnut Review, Exposures, Yearbook, National Honor Society, Watershed Initiative, Michigan Summer Institute, Natural Helpers, Big Ideas Club, Mathletes, Book Club
Graduation Rate Most Years 100%
Over the past 20 years Leland Public School has graduated over 99% of our students and has a dropout rate of less than 1%.
Leland Public School is located in Northwest Michigan’s idyllic Leelanau County. The district comprises approximately 75 square miles of the most beautiful country in the world, including inland lakes, streams, Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore, and over 20 miles of Lake Michigan shoreline. Leland has a rich historical and cultural heritage.